1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big Bird is a daddy! :) ...Why does the chick look like this??!?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shortgrass, Oct 25, 2015.

1. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I have a lone chick, hatched out 3 weeks ago; a little surprise from a bantam gold laced Cochin and a Red Star rooster... Curious of wgat cross in Big Bird caused the chick to have these whitish feathers with grey specks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ENor70

ENor70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm new to chickens, so I can't help. But I did want to say that it is a cute chick. I'd love to see pictures as it continues to age.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, remember that chick down and the first plumage is usually very different than the finished product, especially so in mixes. Having a multi-generational mix like this, you really have to wait until the bird is 8-10 weeks to have a good idea of what they'll really look like as adults. I would expect more gold on the chick, though. Do you have pics of the parents?

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Like @ENor70 , I don't have any bloomin' idea, @shortgrass , but that is one really cute chick!

Oh, and I see you are a relatively new member, ENor70! Welcome!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - also, are you certain of the breed of hen that laid the egg (not necessarily the same as the hen who set the egg)?

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    X3 the reason being this chick is black and white. That is not possible out of a gold lace cochin and red star... this cross would only throw tan/brown with black details.

If there is a silver lace cochin or a black/white rooster or hen around it is a parent to this chick.

1 person likes this.
  7. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Yep, here's mom

[​IMG]

And dad, AKA Big Bird

[​IMG]

I know 100% it was her egg as she's my only Cochin, and "Little Bird" has feathered feet ;)

I'm impatient lol... I know its not going to look anything like mom OR dad, but with so many different hybrids going into red sex links, I haven't a clue what kind of genes Big Bird is throwing around lol...

I'll post more pics as she/he grows more; I'm anxious to see my little surprise all grown up! :)

Thanks @ENor70&@Blooie! She snuck one in and i couldnt help but let her keep just one egg to hatch; Lol next generation of chickens to be kissed ha-ha ;)

8. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Update... "Little Bird" is most definitely a boy ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    9 weeks old, looking like a fluffy laced version of daddy lol...

Trying to figure out these feathers; are they "penciled", " laced", " Spangled",...? I know he's not Barred ha-ha :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has an awesome personality lol; he's super tame like his momma, and really curious and brave like daddy :D

Always the first to come running when I go outside, he's a riot :)

10. TBirdsTheWord33

TBirdsTheWord33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Ohio
    He is simply gorgeous, shortgrass! Whatever he is, he is 100% perfection. Please keep the pics coming of your handsome little guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by