Big Black Cochin Roo x Misc. Hens =?

aceschix

Songster
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
New Hampshire
Hi all! I hope this is the right area for this question. If not please let me know where it belongs.

Still new to chickens - Please share your advice. I am hoping to hatch some of my own eggs this Spring late Winter with my new incubator. My questions are about to mix or not to mix breeds.

I have 10 hens and one Roo. My big guy is a large black cochin. I have a black cochin hen and a buff cochin hen, I could build a separate run and coop for them but it is cold here and want to keep them together for warmth.

My other hens are SLW, GLW, Delawares x2, white crested black polish, EE, hamburg and a BCM. Would any of these crosses produce anything good or should I wait to hatch when I can have just the cochins together? I am not one to mix breeds for the usual responsible breeding practices reasons. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It really depends on your goals--if you are breeding for pure-bred chickens, then your black cochins should be together and the others separate (including the buff cochin hen). If you are mostly wanting egg layers or dual purpose birds, then let them mix to your heard's desire. It is possible to mark your hen's eggs by putting a few drops of food colouring into their vent every few days--then collect all the non-colour marked eggs for your refrigerator.

If you merely want a mixred flock, then let them run together and hatch as you choose. Crosses can be quite interesting, and often have some traits that are superior to their purebred parents.

Back
Top Bottom