Big black dog in front yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pringle, Jan 9, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Im watching tv and my dog starts barking like crazy,I look out the window and there is this big black dog out in the yard sniffing around it had a collar on and I think ive seen a person walk it before so it lives on my street.When I came back with my bb gun it was gone.Do you think a strong bb gun pumped up about 50 times and with 10 whole peppercorns(ran out of bbs)will deter a dog next time it comes?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Can't you just find out who owns it next time from the ID on its' collar and call the owner
    Or just call the police, if it's the first time, they'll make a note of it in case you need it in the future
    That could be a 5 year old's little boy's dog that got out by mistake and they are going crazy looking for it - that happened on my street

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Dogs don't understand how firearms work. You just need to shoo him off so that he will know that he is unwelcome in your yard.

Rufus

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:NO! Peppercorn will carry about 6 feet and do nothing. Dog will probably be more frightened by the sound of the BB gun shooting than a peppercorn. Plus, you'd have better luck (which ain't much) with a single peppercorn over a group in the barrel. You'd do more throwing rocks. Find who it belongs to and tell them under no circumstance is their dog welcome and if it harms a chicken (or anything else) you'll deliver the dogs dead carcass along with a bill.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    pringle is a young'in. Probably didn't have his folks around when the dog was around and has had stray/dog at large problems in the past.

Lil bro- I wouldn't use a BB gun. Better off to scare it or call the police.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]
    He is correct because for one thing, a B-B can ricochet and could end up putting someone's eye out in an urban or even suburban setting.
    Around here, cops duck these calls because there is an animal control dept so they figure it is AC business and not theirs. Attacks on a person can get cops out tho, but normally around here, has to be more than one incident. Only exception we have seen was a pack of three attacking people. Got three before cops came.[​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dont use a BB gun..it will just wound the animal.. [​IMG]
    Call the owners or police or animal control...

8. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok so I wont use my bb gun would it be ok to use my paintball gun then it will make a loud noise and wont really hurt the animal only sting it.

9. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just go out and raise hell with him and chuck a small stick or two at him, not to hurt but let him know that is your teritory and for him to bug out.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I'm an avid believer in FENCE!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by