Big Brooders and baby chicks - lots of PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hinkjc, Jan 26, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    These brooders are in our garage/basement, so please understand the mess. Charlie just built a really nice big one since we are hatching so much and want to make sure they have plenty of room to feather out before going outside into the nursery coops. The birds in the pics are mostly from our lavender project, but there are some mottleds, bantam pyncheon (mille and porcelain) and araucana also.

The first brooder is the new one (covered to hold the heat in and keep drafts out) - measures 4 X 8 X 2 feet:

[​IMG]

Hinged gate for access to change water:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wood panels are also hinged to change out/add feed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sneak peek after they've settled in:

[​IMG]

The 2nd brooder is an old metal closet laid on its back (doors removed) - approx 3 X 6 X 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third brooder is another smaller metal closet laid on its back - approx 2 X 6 X 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the small brooders in a spare bedroom for when the chicks first hatch up to 2 weeks old. I'll try to get pics of those set ups tomorrow.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

That makes we want to hatch babies so bad. Very nice.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Awww can't I just reach in and grab me one of those cute lil Lavendar pullets, pleaaassssee [​IMG]

They are so pretty! Great brooders! Thanks for sharing your pics [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Wowie, ZOWIE!!! Those are super, Jody! You look like you are all set. Your lavanders are absolutely beautiful. What breed did you say they are? You look like you have a few roos in that first brooder. LOL How old are they? They look between 6 - 8 weeks? I love the way you recycled to get such nice brooders. I'm sooo jealous! Enjoy!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Looking ever so nice!!! Go Lavs!!!!

Love the old metal closet idea!!!! hmmm, now I'm on a misson looking for one of those for "our" garage!! Poor DH wait til I tell him this idea [​IMG] I'd like to add to "his" garage, I think he knows I took it over!! lol

I get to post pics tomorrow of my hatch that is going on! Have to wait til they are fluffy and the hatch is finished!!

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What a beautiful batch of babies...and look at all those lavenders!!! You are going to have a wonderful time this summer hatching out the next generation. Woohoo!!

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

show-off [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Thanks everyone!

Ellen, the lavenders are from our orpington project. The oldest group will be 8 weeks old on Wednesday and some in that brooder are a week younger. There are a lot of roos in that first bunch, but a few great looking pullets too.

Those closets are really nice and so easy to bleach/clean out after brooding in them. Charlie put some wooden legs on the back of them to allow air flow underneath and the old window screens work great to keep the little buggers inside. [​IMG] We picked up about 10 of those closets at someone's house for free..they were cleaning out. The really nice ones we kept for storage in the basement and garages and a few went to brooders.

I'm thrilled if someone can use this idea. Good luck Sandy convincing dh you are taking over his garage. Charlie has been really patient with me and all our peeps.

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Wow Jody, I think I spy a Jubilee. How neat is that! The lavenders are looking great.

The booder in the first few shots is almost like the one I just made in my brooder room. Mine are a bit taller and I made the Front side with latches so I can just take it down to clean it out. I insulated the back and sides with the Pink board too and I use a piece on top to hold the heat in. My little ones are 4 and 6 weeks in it and seem to be doing great. I have a heater in the event that we get anymore temps in the teens but this morning when I went out there it was a toasty 75. I can raise and lower the lights easily so during the day when it is warmer I can keep it a bit cooler. I was really reluctant to put them out there but they are loving the space.

Great Pictures and its exciting to be sharing your progress.

10. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    LOL Jaynie. No that's a bantam mille fleur pyncheon chick you see in the pics. You can see how tiny they are compared to most of the others. We figured while we're hatching, we work on setting a few of those eggs for testing and to build up our flocks.

I really like the new brooder Charlie made and hoping it does the trick so we have some time to get above freezing here. They'll still have an optional heat lamp in the nursery when they go outside, but it is just too bitter to put them out yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by