Big Brother? Mother hen? Confused!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kemoldenhauer, Sep 14, 2009.

1. kemoldenhauer

kemoldenhauer New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    I have 2, 2 1/2 month old chicks we incubated. One is a banty frizzle that is looking like a hen. The other is a gold link, R.I. Red cross that is looking like a cockerel. The thing is he seems to act like a hen to the little friz. She will go under him in rain,he holds out his wings for her, and at night she cuddles under him like a hen with babies! Do boys do this? I have not seen this occurance in any other chicks we have raised. He is so big compared to the friz, it is cute! Thanks for any help!

2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I don't have a whole lot of experience as this is my first set of chickens and roos, but all my girls seem to go hide under their big brothers when something happens. They also sleep tight together huddled under each other when possible. I thought it was pretty funny once when a roo decided to sit on my shoulder when others were on my lap and he covered my head with his wing [​IMG] I don't know what he thought he was protecting me from, but it was sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by