BIG, brown glossy eggs.....what breed is laying these?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beekissed, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Hello! Got some new breeds (to me) this year and they have just started laying. I am getting some very, very large deep brown and very shiney eggs in this bunch and I was just curious which breed was more likely to be laying this type of egg? These eggs are also very thick-shelled.

White Rocks
    Black Stars
    Dominiques
    Buff Orpingtons
    New Hampshire Reds

I've had Doms and BOs before, but not the other breeds. Can anyone tell me if any one of these breeds lay a deep brown egg that would be in the extra large category? If I can find this out, I would like to perpetuate her genes!!! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My NH pullets lay big brown, very glossy eggs. Lucy's is very dark and Penny's is a tad lighter. They are very fat on the aircell end, too. Very beautiful eggs! Your description sounds just like Lucy's eggs-bet it's your NH.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:My guess!
    Got a picture?
    Christina

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Laska! LOVE your avatar! [​IMG] No pics yet but will muster up the gumption to get some of the eggs in comparison to my usual fare...cream to khaki colored, small to large sized with a matte finish. These butternut eggs (that's what I call 'em!) are so beautiful they look as if they were dyed in onion skins!

Speckled, I believe you if you say the New Hamps are the culprits. If so, they are outlaying all the other pullets and most of the older hens right now and they just turned 5 mo. old on Monday, the 15th.

Every time I open the fridge, I can't stop looking at these glossy,big hen-berries!!! Never saw a more beautiful egg, that's for sure!

Thanks, you two!!! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My NH girls started laying just after my two BR pullets in my group of 18 young ladies. They've been very consistent, too. When I saw Lucy's first few eggs, I had a thought that if I was picking just one breed for laying, more like her wouldnt be too bad. They are beautiful, even-toned, super-glossy eggs.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I had some orpingtons that layed some very LIGHT eggs. I would say its your red birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by