Big Buffy & the Roost Bar

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7&8, Dec 1, 2010.

1. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    I happened to be there at dusk to see that my ginormous Buff Orpington hen is having issues flying up to the main roost bar [​IMG]. I'm not sure of its height, but obviously it's too high for her. The other, lower roost bar is commandeered by the bantams; they're little hellions & won't share with the big girls. I'll be making a 'fat ramp' for her largeness, a ladder, that she can use to hop up to the main roost bar. Big Mamma is the only one that has issues flying up - the others fly up handily. I want to say it's about 4' high. She's been fine 'till recently...just getting bigger & bigger!

The flock ranges all day & returns to the coop at dusk. This particular hen is an eating machine...more so than the others by far!

Wondering what other owners of big ol' Buff Orpington's, or other large breed chickens, find is a comfortable roost bar height for these moose-like gals to fly up to? Thoughts, comments, ideas all appreciated! [​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a big girl ladder to the roost. Some fly up and others run while flapping up the ramp. My BO is one of those who use the ramp.

[​IMG]

I have done some modifing since the picture. It now goes all the way to the roost.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a 6mo old BO and she is a big one. We call her Penny Bear since she sometimes makes this low growling noise. I think our bottom roost is around 24 " and she easily makes it and then can jump to the top roost. Our nesting boxes are stacked as well - low ones are only about 10" off the floor. So far, all is working well.

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My roost is 30 inches for my 3 BOs. They seem to get up just fine, but boy do they land with a THUMP when they jump down. I keep the shaving pretty thick because I'm sure they're going to hurt themselves, but so far so good.

Yeah, they get BIG and fluffy in the winter. Love my BOs!

5. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    We call our big girl "Gojira" (from the movie Godzilla). Now that she has reached her cruising weight, she prefers to stick with our lower roosts rather than going all the way to the highest 6' foot roost, or the rafters. There are four of these staggered, and she can easily make the first hop, which is about 2.5 - 3 feet.

Love, love, love those Orpingtons and will probably never get any other breed, just different colors maybe!!

[​IMG]

6. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you all so much for the replies, and the photos are extremely helpful! The ramp is great, patman, and Kate, your coop set up is great! I definitely will be spending some time with 2X4's today [​IMG]

I agree 100%...what's not to like about (Buff) Orpingtons [​IMG] I am very partial to their pumpkin color, but would consider other colors. This morning, while I had the doors open, her largeness climbed into the chicken closet where I keep the feed bins, etc., and made a hasty nest in a flake of hay. She was in too much of a hurry to go back in the coop for a nest box! Not wanting to encourage laying in odd places, I removed Miss Warm & Fluffy & her egg - pronto. I don't pick the girls up too often, but I have to say that now that I've felt her downy, dense, loveliness, it's going to be hard not to want to pick this one up for a cuddle!

CityChook, I was sitting in the garage pre-dawn with a cup o' this morning, listening to them come down from the roost one by one. The Buffy's do thud! I also keep a deep bed of shavings for their heavy landings. The EE's are the handiest (and quirkiest) birds. They are built for reconnaissance missions, speed, climbing, & flight; the Orps, for sheer comfort!

From the beginning, I've had a hard time figuring out the interior layout for this coop they're currently in. They've tolerated numerous changes. This forum has been so helpful in improving my half-baked ideas!

Thank you, again! [​IMG] maureen

7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    This pretty much has nothing to do with the topic, but i have a Jumbo Pekin and its name is BigMomma too!! Although it is a boy! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He dosent like being picked up, but he likes to be petted! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by