Big challenge at the feed store today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by azygous, Mar 26, 2012.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I caught a glimpse of all the stock tanks with heat lamps suspended over them, and I said to myself, "Don't look! Don't look! Don't look!"

But my feet took me over there anyway. And I looked. I peered into each tank. Baby ducks in two of them. Straight run yellow chicks. Chipmunk pullets. Black ping pong balls and tan ping pong balls. I rescued one tiny ball of fluff who had gotten itself headfirst into the top hole of the feeder and was kicking its tiny legs in the air.

Does anyone know of a place to go to see pictures of the different breeds as day olds so I can get a better idea of what all those different colors will turn into?

My feed store refuses to post what breeds the chicks are, and the employees will only reply, "Manager's choice" when I ask them what kind they are, as if that's a breed.

Last August, they had some late chicks and they were of the "chipmunk" style. I figured I had a good chance of them turning out to be EEs, but they were Speckled Sussex, not that I've been disappointed or anything. But it would be nice to have some idea of what breed I'm looking at when I see yellow ones, brown ones, tan ones, black and yellow ones, striped ones, etc.

No. I didn't come home with any. But I still have the whole summer to fight the urge. Something tells me I won't make it.

2. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    That is really odd that they wont label them. Do you have any other feed stores or hatcheries nearby where you can pick what you want or at least know what you are getting?

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    honestly, I wouldnt buy any from a place that wont tell me what breeds they are etc...

4. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    That's insane!! Why wouldn't they tell you the breeds??

5. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I agree, that is really strange. I wouldn't buy chicks from a store that didn't want me to know what breed they were.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's called "Big R" feed and farm supply, and their business model is that of Big Corp. The employees are cynical and ignorant, poorly trained and under paid. But it's all we have here in my tiny town.

There is one or two other small feed stores on the other side of the mountain pass, and one will usually take small orders for individual breeds, buy the half a dozen minimum the hatchery insists on, and then his customers will always buy any left over after I get what I ordered. But it's much more of a "process" than simply walking into a feed store and spying those irresistible fluff butts.

I would like to be more knowledgeable about what I'm looking at as I try to resist the urge to take some home with me.

7. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Well, besides all the great pictures of chicks on this page, http://www.cacklehatchery.com/ has pictures of at leas 160 different chick breeds. It might at least get you started. Good luck!

8. Presidential

Presidential Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    Guys, it is not that the chicks are a big secret!

The employees at TSC are not chicken experts.
    While ag knowledge is deisred - there is very little ag knowledge required to work there. Brooders filled with mixed chicks have no chance of being identified by employees. I think TSC would rather sell "Manager Choice" chicks than be wrong selling a chick as a specific breed.

9. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    while not all but most of the employees at tsc are just to show where things are at in the store and in no way shape or form know enough to answer any questions that are more in depth than "where is the....?"

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's a great site! That's the first I've been able to see chicks up next to what the adults look like. It's very helpful. Any more suggestions out there? What would be totally neat is a poster with all the breeds plus chicks. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by