Big Chickens chasing my new bantams everywhere

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by atherbys, Nov 30, 2009.

1. atherbys

atherbys New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    I have approx 24 chickens in a big coop and they have 10,000 square feet of outside run space.

I picked up some cute smaller bantam chickens a few weeks ago, and the bigger chickens (reds, barred rocks, leghorns, etc) will peck them mercilessly and chase them without stop around the yard. I felt bad enough for the bantams I eventually bought a big rabbit cage and mounted it on the wall so they have an escape and can actually feed and drink in peace.

How can I sort this out...when will the other chickens leave these poor little guys alone?

Thanks

Gary

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Gary and welcome to BYC!
    It's highly recommended that any new birds brought into a flock be quarantined for at least 30 days first. That's water under the bridge now, so on to your integration issues.
    I would suggest that you find a way to keep the bantams seperate but visible to your older flock until the old-timers have calmed down a bit. The rabbit hutch sounds like a good idea. With any luck, the standard birds will get tired of harrasing the bantams and accept them into the flock.
    Good luck to you!

3. atherbys

atherbys New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply! The only other problem is, that the Bantams wont leave the confines of the rabbit cage I put on the wall...today I physically took them out of the cage and placed them outside to enjoy some sunshine, and they were promptly chased back into the cage by the other chickens...I guess they'll mellow out in time huh?

Gary

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hopefully, yes. [​IMG]
    It's good that the bantams have a place to retreat to. Is it possible for you to make the bantams a little play yard where they could enjoy the outdoors without fear of harrassment? I'm thinking of something like this, that could be constructed with the right materials at home:
    Hmm, the link won't work for some reason. Try going to www.jefferspet.com and searching for 'play yard'.
    Good luck to you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Maybe you could try what we have done. We have 9 month olds and 2 1/2 month olds together yet separate - we bought a very cheap roll of deer netting from Tractor Supply and strung it up to separate them in the run. Each "flock" has their own coop. They free range separately, taking turns as we supervise and chase one group back in and let the other group out. We have recently started putting several of the meeker older ones with the littles and so far they tolerate them. Our hope is to eventually integrate them completely, but we are prepared to wait it out if it takes for-never. At no time do we allow Ramses the Great (our mature rooster) access to the littles. He told us plainly he would kill them if given the chance. So, the young group is safe but it's extra work for us. Here's hoping your situation works out!

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I rotate letting my chickens free range ..one flock per day. I have four "flocks" right now and I let one out in the morning and let them enjoy themselves all day and at night they promptly return to their coop to roost and I go out and lock up before I go to bed. This eliminate the "chicken chasing" that my son and I were doing when they were all together! Not fun in a Noreaster trying to run around my side yard and convince silly chickens that it would be better for them to get back into their coops!!! Yeah..one a day works for us!(lol) Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by