Big Chickens little eggs????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sprydawg, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Sprydawg

Sprydawg New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    I have 5 White Leghorns and 6 Rhode Island reds. My white eggs are normal size but the RIR are very young but im getting 2 Very small brown eggs. Whats going on is it because thier young??The birds are very large...Not happy with my purchase...I want large brown eggs...[​IMG] Any ideas???

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

OH my, just give them time. If they are young, it may take them some time to increase their egg size as they mature.

In the future, if you want large eggs from the get-go, I'd suggest you get Red Sex Links. I'd also recommend the ISA Brown, a patented brown egg layer of extraordinary ability.

3. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Give the girls a little time and you will see some large eggs. The first few eggs are always very small. Happens even after a molt. They will get larger every day. If your girls are anything like mine you will have some VERY large eggs to crow about.[​IMG]

4. lwemmer

lwemmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Good to read this thread. I have new girls (Buff orp, Black sex-link and two Easter-eggers) and they are all laying the tiniest eggs I've ever seen. One of the first green ones actually resembled a robin's egg!

Is there anything you can feed them to help them increase egg size more quickly?

5. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    The first egg I got last week from my red-sex link (RIR X delaware) was a tiny 29.8 gm. She is now averaging a "huge" 42.0g. Oh well, at least she's laying.Hopefully her eggs will gradually get bigger, and the others will start contributing.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:
    I have 5 White Leghorns and 6 Rhode Island reds. My white eggs are normal size but the RIR are very young but im getting 2 Very small brown eggs. Whats going on is it because thier young??The birds are very large...Not happy with my purchase...I want large brown eggs... Any ideas???

No there is nothing. Think of them as little girls just getting started in life!! Quit trying to rush them. Like everyone else said it's completly normal!!​

7. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

8. lwemmer

lwemmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

9. Sprydawg

Sprydawg New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks for all the input.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by