big chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by turnleftdad, Feb 12, 2011.

1. turnleftdad

turnleftdad Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Looking forward to getting my new Jersey giants next month, but I was wondering about size. I have 3 rir and 2 bo I love my girls but when I first decided to get chickens being a guy I wanted big chickens and after reading up these are the ones I got. They are now laying but did not get to the size that I thought they would. I got them from one of the feed stores here in town the Jersey giants I ordered from My pet chicken will these be more like the size and pictures that they describe or are there special places to get these chickens?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Hatchery birds don't usually get the size of breeder birds.. Wynette on here has some nice JG I bet she could help you out.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My Pet Chicken is just a drop-ship company that gets chicks from other big-time hatcheries, so no, you're not going to get huge chickens. The sad part is that MPC shows beautiful photos of good quality birds, but they actually just have photographers who go around to well known good breeders to get people an idea of what the breed looks like, not what they offer. [​IMG]

Hatchery JG's are much smaller than true ones, but yes, Wynette is one of many breeders on here with truly huge Jersey Giants [​IMG]

4. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    A small JG is still bigger than a big RIR. Just feed them well and keep them healthy. I kid you not! You will look at them one day and think that is as big as they are going to get. Then they get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by