Big City to Little Farm -- Our Story

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thegrovestead, Jan 31, 2015.

1. thegrovestead

thegrovestead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    Minnesota
    My wife and I lived happily for several years in a 2-bedroom bungalow in a major metro in the Midwest. Over the years my interest in gardening and raising animals grew, but we just didn't have the space to do much on our 1/8-acre lot. I tilled up most of the backyard, converting it to raised beds and raspberry patches, eventually removing hundreds of square feet of landscaping rock to squeeze out a little more room for growing healthy food for our family.

[​IMG]

At the time we just had one infant, but when news came another was on the way we knew it was time to move. This was the right time, I felt, to explore moving out of the city to a rural acreage where we would have room to grow, play, learn.

Six days after our 2nd was born, we closed on our new property in southern Minnesota. It was a thrilling, but exhausting transition, as anyone with newborns knows. But as with most things in life, the challenging path was the more rewarding. Since moving 2 1/2 years ago we have tapped our maple trees to make our own homemade maple syrup, planted a huge and always-expanding garden, planted an apple orchard, my wife started beekeeping last year, and of course we've been raising chickens the whole time (the reason I'm here!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For us, it has been a wonderful experience. Our kids love it and there's an endless list of experiences still to come. I'm looking forward to gleaning advice from all of you more sage than I, and also sharing anything useful I learn by accident or design. I'm a tinkerer by nature, I love to experiment. I try to keep my blog current with our projects as time permits. You can check it out here: http://thegrovestead.com

Thanks for reading. Happy to be here!
    Rory

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

What a wonderful story! I'm glad you've enjoyed your farm and chickens so much.[​IMG]

3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Great story! Good luck with all of your farm adventures, and please feel free to ask any questions that you have! We'll be happy to help.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Rory. Glad you decided to our flock. Thanks for all the beautiful pics of your farm. Gardening and raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your farm.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OH, I want to play on your farm too but, think I am too 'fluffy' to fit inside the coop. Maybe I would just free range and enjoy myself. I see you even have a rainbow in one picture. Okay I am sold, you have a great place to live.

Welcome to Backyard chickens - so glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I absolutely oved reading your story!! And your pics are amazing!

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Welcome to BYC from WA state!

Your family is lovely, and your farm is wonderful!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by