Big closed eye. Did lot of research to no avial.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morgangirl1, Aug 19, 2013.

1. morgangirl1

morgangirl1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    In the sticks of KS
    I just don't know what to do. If you have seen the video below my mom who has been doing chickens for a year now, did that. I just don't know what to do now. I mean our chicken diddnt end up looking like that in the end but just the same as she was before. I really need some help, I dont want her brains to be eaten out.

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    You did a lot of research and couldn't figure out what could cause a swollen eye? Or you discovered a lot of possibilities but couldn't narrow it down?

If it is a worm then use a good dewormer. It's not a bad idea to deworm chickens regularly anyway.

3. morgangirl1

Jul 7, 2013
    In the sticks of KS
    Well see we couldnt narrow it down, I mean mom did most of it on my computer but what do I know about chickens? All i saw was somethings that could eat her brain and some stuff that you could just pop out of her eye. I just don't know what to do. She is my faviorte little girl and my last favorite besides my duck that I have left. I really would have liked to show her but if I have to put her down or get ride of her eye, i suppose thats what i would have to do.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    do you know if the hen actually has worms? or is there something else wrong with her eye?? I did see the video so I'm just wondering.. if you pushed out the worms but she's still swollen up then my guess would be that: 1. there's more in the eye that haven't surfaced enough or 2. the eye lid is swollen up from the pressure of pushing on it....I'm no expert these are purely guesses from after watching the video and reading what you had to say...if you can, get some Ivermectin, or more ideally some Wazine 17. I use Wazine on my flock annually to prevent worms...better yet if possible take her to a vet who knows much more than I can suggest...I really hope your hen will pull through!!!

5. morgangirl1

Jul 7, 2013
    In the sticks of KS
    Okay, thanks guys, I will talk to my mom, and we do have Ivermectim or how every you spell it, I will put some more on her tonight.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your chicken has a big swollen closed eye, instead of eyeworm,it is more than likely a symptom of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma, coryza, or LT. Here is a link to a good site for diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. morgangirl1

Jul 7, 2013
    In the sticks of KS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Oh happy dance! I finaly had the guts to get under her third eyelid and I squeezed this big hard yellow mass out. Its the same stuff from the video but much more painful. She seems much better now, sohappy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by