Big Commercial Feed company's

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by oscare66, Sep 13, 2016.

1. oscare66

oscare66 Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    I want to get away from the Big feed company's and start making my own chick starter and poultry feed. Can someone help me with how to figure out my percentage for my feed. I don't lime the idea that the big company's havery cornered the market and they make us pay what they want. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S7 Active

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The thing about the 'big feed companies' is that they make very good complete balanced rations for the best price. It's difficult and expensive to make complete feeds at home in small batches! There's information available about poultry nutrition through university sites, and you can buy the vitamin/ mineral mixes, and a grinder, and a mixer, and do it yourself. You won't save money!!! Mary

3 people like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed!

1 person likes this.
  4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, what he said!

1 person likes this.
  5. oscare66

oscare66 Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    Not looking to save money just wanted to know that my flock is getting the best they can get

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S7 Active

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure you're at home ration will have the appropriate amino acid ratios along with the proper amount of each trace mineral. I also hope you are able to include enhancements like yeast wall, probiotics, prebiotics, and other specialty ingredients that are in the poultry rations I design for one of the big guys.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The university livestock and poultry nutrition classes that I had convinced me that there's no way I'm doing it at home! Mary

1 person likes this.
  8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The only ones who can do what you're thinking about and make it pay are the large poultry integrators like Conga, Tyson, and others. All the Poultry Integrators I am aware of mill their own chicken feed, down to and including sterilizing it with Iodine 40 radiation.

That said, some of my friends make a very good chicken scratch feed but the basis of this ration is still pellets and other feeds only mixed at home with some additives like Calf Manna, pig chow, and maybe horse sweet feed, I have used some of these mixtures and am satisfied that chickens do well on them and grow strong, but IMHO they are in no way superior to what you can buy if you will do your homework.

The only way to be sure your feed is a complete ration is to send a sample to the lab for scientific testing. Expect to pay $500 and up for testing each sample.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by