Big Coopers looking at my ladies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jrskol2000, Nov 25, 2010.

1. jrskol2000

jrskol2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Two days ago a pair of coopers hawks were circling over head. Checking out my ladies. There coop and run is secure and the issue is when i allow them to free range in a fenced yard. This morning the male hawk was perched on the fence looking at the girls in the coop. I have searched the site and read some threads. I have a dog that will gladly hang in the yard with the birds but i dont think she will be all that excited to chase a hawk. Will a hawk attack with a dog in the yard? I am looking to put some more cover in the yard for them to scatter to any ideas appreciated. Don't laugh but i thought maybe an airhorn would startle it and deter it from coming back. They will be supervised more closely in the future. I figure this has been discussed in great detail any direction to threads would be a appreciated. Dang hawk. I wish I could work a deal out with the local cats that, run the neighborhood, to get some protection. Thanks for any help

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The air horn is a good idea.

3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    There is not likely much that will deter hawks other than fencing/netting over the birds. Hide spots MAY help but hawks are incredibly fast and silent. An air horn might scare it away once but it certainly will not hesitate coming back. My only ally is a flock of crows that mob the hawks in my yard. It does not prevent problems but it at least helps to distract the hawk. I feed the crows by tossing eggs to help keep them around. I have heard many stories of birds being taken while the owner was just a few feet away. I have lost a few birds this fall to predators- most likely hawks as it happens during the day. Spring and fall are the two worst times for predators. The early darkness allows nocturnal predators to act before the average person gets home to lock the birds up for the night. I hatch to replace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by