1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big Cornish cross chickens for xmas

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by coondog74017, Dec 21, 2008.

1. coondog74017

coondog74017 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Some people wants to know can they get 10 lbs chickens out of the cornish chicks. I put some on feed for the first time and here is a few pictures of what I got and they are big enough for Xmas.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The roosters will weigh around 13 lbs live and dressed out around 10 lbs and the pullets dresses out between 7 and 8 lbs and these cornish weighed 6 lbs live weight at 6 weeks of age had no problem with them at all I just dresses out 7 the first day do to the weather and I like what they turned out. I will never butcher another breed of chicken unless I raise it. These cornish are under 12 weeks old and I fed out some RR and at 12 weeks they were around 4 lbs live weight.

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG] YUM! I want chicken for dinner, Mom... [​IMG]

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    nice looking birds, in the before and after

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow.

Good job.

5. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Are they missing part of their wings?

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Looks like he clipped the tips. No meat there, and pretty hard to pluck.

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Congratulations !!! Bingo ! 13 lbs. vs. 4 lbs. in 12 weeks. That is 3+ times the return in the same time. I bet that they have lots of flavor and well worth the effort of raising them.

8. coondog74017

coondog74017 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Are they missing part of their wings?

I cut the end tip of the wing off their not enough meat on it, some keep the head and feet but I get rid of mine, their enough meat on the bird to make up for these items. My wife only eats the white meat and as big as these brests are she will get 2 or 3 meals out of one chicken and I like the rest of them. For xmas we are having home grown 25 lb turkey fried and bake cornish chicken or smoked depending on how cold it is out side.[​IMG]The biggest problem is deciding which one to cook first.

9. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Front row first bird, fullest breast meat for your wife. Back row , second bird has 4 drumsticks for you. Send the rest to me. YUMMMMM!!!

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have come back to this post twice just to look at how nice these birds are. I am definitely going to have to get some now. Your birds were even pretty when alive.
    Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by