Big Crop!!!

raskusbo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Fareham, Hampshire UK
Gone to put my girlies to bed tonight and i noticed one of them has a huge crop and the skin looks red and feels warm (which is probably normal) she is a naked chicken as she is an ex-bat. She eats a diet of ex-bat crumb and pellets and then they have treats in the morning normally bread, lettuce, cooked potato skins and whatever left overs we have. The other's crops seem to be no-where near as huge as hers.

I need some advice please as to whether it will go down by itself or do i need to massage it or should i take her to the vet.

Please help!!!

Thanks
Vic

Check on this page for my big crop experiences, Incidents 02 and 03.
Sounds like you have one who is more enthusiastic than the others or who has not had enough fluids and too much dry material. A lot of us avoid potatoes, while others say it works for them...not sure if this is an issue for your hen.

I imagine that if you have some olive oil and tomatoes (or juice) that you'll get this fixed- check here...and please come back to tell how she is doing...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

cool.png

See what it is like in the morning. Hopefully, it will have gone down and you will know that she pigged out before bed!

If it is still big and hard I would suggest doing a search for impacted crop in the window on the upper right of your screen. Usually treatment entails witholding food for a day, ACV in her drinking water, feeding olive oil and massaging the crop to break up the mass. Treatment is usually followed with soft, easily digestable foods like hardboiled egg-yolk, mash mixed with yogurt, applesauce etc.

ETA- LynnP's link was very helpful to me when my boy had a bound crop. I hope that Zipfi is well!

Last edited:
Thanks

Will try the olive oil and see what she is like in the morning, should i massage it after i have she has had the oil. How much oil should i give her, 5mls? How often should i do it. The problem obviously being Christmas and if she needs to go to the vets will need to do it tomorrow.

They had potato for breakfast but not everyday - should i stop feeding them cooked potato?

Zipfi is great, AmyBella, thanks for asking.

Potato is a bit chunky and dry plus low on protein for layers, make a decision based on what you observe. With the holidays, I'd give her oil (or soft butter) and massage a few times, alternately lifting the cop to let material through. Does it feel fibrous, gritty or other? You're right about the vet, if you're going to go, GO! You're lucky to have an avian vet...
cool.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice have just given her 5mls of olive oil and massaged it and the crop went from being rock hard to being softer, looser and a bit like a bean bag! She is drinking so hopefully by tomorrow she will have cleared. Hope that is how it should feel?!

Should i as routine but ACV in their water?

Gave her olive oil last night and massaged her crop and she seems loads better.

Thanks everyone.

NOw have a problem with one of the others being lethargic and sleepy and ruffled feathers she is not eating and drinking - managed to give her a few drops of water from a syringe but not sure what else to do.

Yep you know what to do if your hen jams up the crop again, she sounds good.

The other one- I'm guessing that the potatoes should be reduced or eliminated, in part because eating them denies protein, which can express in various ways and because potatoes are part of the nightshade family and birds tend to be sensitive.

Check the droppings of the second hen, may be a sinmple digestive upset or could be more.

Back
Top Bottom