1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big crops!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Girl, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    My 3 week old chickes and the have big crops. All they eat is chicke starter. I gave them apple 1 time. And that was weeks ago! I have been takeing the food away at night cuz it looks gross and i get freaked out. So should i get them grit and if so what kind? They do not seem to be in pain. Thanks for the help!

Chicken Girl

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That's one of the scariest-looking things that's absolutely normal with baby chicks. I keep food available all the time for my new chicks, especially while they're so little they're under lights in a brooder box. They sleep & wake all day & night, and could benefit from having food always handy. Older chicks & chickens usually fill up their crops right before roosting at night, and have them empty by morning. As long as your chicks don't act ill or distressed, don't worry about their big bumpy crops.

3. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    It is strange, I have to admit. I thought one of my chickens had a tumor when I first noticed her crop lol. For the most part, as long as they act healthy and happy, there's nothing wrong with their crops [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm still trying to figure out how my runt chicken Lil' Bit doesn't fall flat on her face in the evenings, her crop is so full.

5. espressola

espressola Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    River Pines, CA
    I give mine food 24/7 too (except for now when I am cleaning the feeder) so they can eat whenever they need to.... It does look scary, but mine would usually tank up right before bed, so it's a normal thing...
    Patty N. ;-)

6. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks guys! I was geting worried! LOL

Chicken Girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by