Big Day coming up Saturday - advice please

English Chick

English Mum
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Cheshire UK
Ok on Saturday Dh and I go to collect my 50 rescue battery hens (I support the UK's Chicken Out Campaign) my dilema being transporting them back. personally as the girls will already have had a very "rough" morning being taken out of cages, put back into cages to be transported to the rescue Centre's Co-Ordinators home, only then to be taken out of cages to be put back into cages by the people taking them home!...phew poor birds...however not wishing to digress what are your thoughts and advice on the following suggestion;

rather than put them into large cages again (I will have to make them, but not an issue) I thought as we where going in DH pickup truck with a solid canopy on and locking tailgate etc, I wanted to put down lots of straw as a bedding and put the poor girls in loose, bearing in mind they cant fly, can hardly walk (curled feet through gripping cage wire) and will no doubt be mostly featherless, I think it might be more humane and comfortable for them and hopefully less stressful then putting them into more cages
their stable is ready with new nesting boxes and a very very thick layer of straw on the floor (they can catch cold as they have always been in heated battery houses) have also been advised that they will be full of lice, so will also have to treat them before they go in the stable, BUT they are used to humans which is a blessing in itself, hate to think of me stressing them even more during delouseing.....

All comments welcome..........neurotic chicken keeper!

smile.png
If they cant do any of the things normal chickens do, then I think your idea is good. It goes without saying (
big_smile.png
) that the driving will have to be amended also. Other than that- good luck!

EnglishChick, bless you for what you are about to do!

I think the straw in the bed of the truck is a good idea. Definitely give them something to grip so they don't feel off balance the whole way. Keep them dark if you can, which will calm them.

Just a thought, at the end of your drive, will catching them in the bed of the truck cause them a lot of stress?

I really hope that they are in good shape for you. You are doing a great thing.

Good points dear friends, good points, DH does drive really well unlike me who still thinks shes a speedster! at 55!!!

Also keeping them in the dark is another god idea will blacken the rear windows a bit, these birds have been kept in permanent light since they went in "prison" they have never seen the sky or felt the rush of the wind through their feathers, I am so looking forward to caring for them! Dont think they will be too stressed when we take them out of the truck I will be very gentle with them....bless you all

Mine would make a run for it when I opened the back of the truck, but I expect they will be too weak and dazed to make a break.
I look forward to hearing about their first dustbath and sunbathing sessions!

Back
Top Bottom