Big Day... exercise and moved to the coop! help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    It has been such a nice weekend I felt bad for the 3 little ones ( 4 weeks) being stuck in a huge tote indoors. So i out them in the run outside.... that lead to my daughter wanting the 6 week olds to go out too... after the 2 head girls duked it out ( littler one seemed to win) they all played nice all afternoon. So not wanting to move everyone in again and since they are all getting along, I moved the run over to the coop and decided to put a light in the coop for the younger ones and let everyone settle into the new home.. now that night has fallen, the littler ones are still outside and not going into the coop. The older ones figured out the ladder. Not sure if they are afraid to go in or what... Worst case they can stay under the coop as it has a mesh floor and the light will shine down although not nearly as warm as in the coop. Any suggestions? will they eventually follow the bigger girls up? Should I add a large shoe box with bedding down below for the 3 littler ones?

They were so cute today.. my previously lethargic chicks ran and flapped around all afternoon and the littlest one kept laying down to nap with her wings out like she was hot, then popped up to try to go another round.

2. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    hang the light outside in the run [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I caught the biggest girl pecking the littlest one when I put her in the coop so, with possible chance of rain ( it poured) , after isolating the two big girls again I felt bad the littler ones couldn't seem to understand they needed to go into the coop, I picked them up and moved them back in the house (sigh). I so want all the wood shavings out of the house:( Guess I will try again next weekend.. at least the littler ones will have more feathers then... BIg girls had to hunker down in the dog crate with no light aince the light was still in the coop. At least they are fully feathered.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Where are you located? It's doesn't get below 75 here now so I took the heat off of them at 4 weeks.

6. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Southern Cal. It gets to mid 50s at night but upper 70's/low 80s during the day now... We are just having and unseasonabley wet year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by