Big Day....New coop purchased and on order! Lowe's Kwik Shed

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=4792-57658-181252

We
really were going to build a new coop from scratch, but with everything else going on in our lives and also being in the middle of a 10 year (used to be 5 year!) remodel project, we took the lazy way out and bought a Kwik Shed from Lowes today. Hubby is going to modify it and make it everything I have ever wanted in a coop so I'm happy
wee.gif

Hopefully it will be in within two weeks and I will post more photos as we go. I just had to share how excited I am to finally be getting the coop of my dreams
love.gif
I told the girls today all about it and they were of course, just as excited, lol.

Last edited:
Newbe question: I know everyone seems to have a ratio of space for chickens like "If they are standard size go 3 sq ft per bird" blah blah blah, but we have AMPLE space (about 5 acres) for a run where they'll be during the day and we were planning to get a shed this size and convert it. What is the max number of standards for a coop that is 8 X 10? How many are you planning to put in yours?
idunno.gif

fl.gif
Please say a lot, please say alot!!!
fl.gif

looks like that will make a great coop. sometimes i wish i'd just bought something like that. these hens and their change orders are killing me.
lol.png

Quote:
I have done something very similar by converting my garden shed into a coop- it's 8' x 8' and houses 6 birds currently, but it's way too big for just those girls- I have 7 growing to fill it better. I think you would have to have 15 or mmore to make it warm enough in winter for my climate, while it's important to have vents that one can close during the summer (we hit 100 easily) since these buildings are very tight.

14596_coop031109_010.jpg

14596_coop031109_005.jpg

14596_coop031109_001.jpg

14596_coop031109_009.jpg

Nice!!! Thanks for the photos. I can't wait to show hubby. I was surprised at how into it he got once we started looking for coops. I had my ideas and he had his but thankfully we both agreed that this one was doable even though it was a tad smaller than he wanted. Imgaine that?
lol.png
He's an engineer so everything is planned out on Exel and drawn on graph paper right down the exact measurement
lol.png
He's not dreading building it so much anymore either since this one is basically pre-fabbed. I'm sure it won't be as easy as they say, but I think it will go together fairly quick.

We have at least 3 vents planned and a window and possibly a skylight. There will also be two chicken doors in addition to the person door since I am going to divide the run in half at times. He is also installing a temporary pen inside the coop for new little girls to be introduced to the flock more easily. They will have their own coop within the coop and their own run while introductions are made. He saw how stressed I was last year during this process so he wanted to make it easier for me in the future. He is going to install drain pans in the corners for their waterers and even has the feeders, roost poles and nest boxes all planned out - exactly. Sometimes it does pay to be married to an engineer
tongue.png

Right now I have 15 hens (counting the ones in the brooder at the moment) and I'd like to have about 20-25, at the most. They are going to have a 26' x 24' run in addition to this nice big coop so I know they will have ample space. Right now they live in a 4'x8' coop and have a 7'x9' run so they truly are going to be moving up to a palace!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom