Big day out! Pics!

Agilityscots

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
Central Ohio
DH has spent the afternoon assembling my new dog kennel for our chicks (boo hoo...can't say "girls" any more since one of the little buggers turned out to be a boy). It will probably be another day or two before it's totally secure, but in the meantime, I can bring them out of the coop one at a time and let them hang out while I sit in the run with them. It was SO exciting seeing them act like busy little chickens! I felt like a real heel putting them away after only one hour. Here are pics of their big day:

The gang's all here:
100_0531.jpg

My pretty GLW cockerel who is STILL looking for a new home:
100_0536.jpg

I love watching them scamper!
100_0527.jpg

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I saw Ruby, my BO, catch her very first Japanese Beetle! She pecked at it as it flew into the run, and it flew out, but that smart little chickie stuck her neck right through the chain link and nailed it on the other side! Death to Japanese Beetles!

Amy

Last edited:
Thanks, Okiechick! It was great fun sitting out in the run, watching them peck and scratch. I gave them a special treat of shredded mozzarella and they were in chicken heaven!

Amy

Quote:
StandardHen, I agree on hurrying but I must tread carefully here...chickens were all my idea and my sweet DH is tired of his weekends being consumed by chicken projects!!
big_smile.png

Amy

How old are your chicks? Your flock looks like mine did before I left on vacation -- they were about 7 weeks old. Now they're eight weeks and look huge!

One (at least) of mine is a boy, too -- my Buff Orp.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Pattycake, mine are 8 weeks old this coming Monday (hatched 6/25). I know what you mean about them looking huge; my gang has been confined to the coop for the last 10 days and I hadn't been able to spend any "real" time with them today. When I put them out in the run today for the first time, I was like, HOLY COW, those are CHICKENS!
ep.gif

Amy

Hey Amy!

How big is your kennel? Mine is 10x10. I covered the top with Chicken wire. I hope to eventually put a solid roof on it to provide more shade for them. Make sure you run some chicken wire or hardware cloth about a foot up each side. that way the coons or whatever wont be able to reach in and get your birds. You planning on locking them up at night or giving them access 24/7?

Back
Top Bottom