Big difference in Cx from wk 5 to wk 7

WVDan44

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
MD
I can't believe what a difference two weeks has made in the growth of the birds. They spend all day out in pasture with feed and water, then nothing from 8 at night until 9 the next day. I'm mixing two kinds of feeds to keep the protein level at about 18%. one is a finisher 15% and the other is game bird starter at 24%. They seem to be doing great. When this last two bags of feed is gone, which is still about 90 lbs total, they are going to the processor. I would estimate their dress weight right now to be averaging between 4.5 and 6 lbs. It is funny to see them try to run through the grass with those big feet, and they do lie down a lot even though they are healthy and very mobile otherwise. I even had them out after the snow storm and they did fine. Only thing is there are several that won't go in and out on their own without some of prompting from me. I'll go down there and find a group of 5 or 6 huddled up in the dark outside the building and will have to shoo them inside. In the morning, some won't leave their shelter but I have started ignoring the laggers in the morning and sure enough, they are starting to catch on. And their consumption of water is amazing. I don't know that I've seen animals or birds drink so much in proportion to their size. I definitely will be ordering a new batch come spring. I've learned a lot and will make several changes in my methods with the next batch. Although I couldn't be happier with the results of this first group so far.

Quote:
that's why i love them so much... and that's why I discourage free ranging them... more eating, more growing, quicker to butcher time.

Are you saying you don't free range them? I do pasture mine from morning til night. They have a shelter to spend the night and bad weather days, but the rest of the time they are out in their paddock. I think their vibrant health speaks for itself. I'm sure there are many ways of arriving at a successful specimen in 8 weeks, depending on what the individual deems appropriate for their particular lifestyle and beliefs. Free ranging to me doesn't mean letting them live off the land. They still need plenty of feed and water to get them to processing weight in 8 weeks. Pasturing provides natural grasses and plants, insects, and grit which in my opinion enhances the flavor of the meat.

Back
Top Bottom