BIG DIFFERENCE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajunlizz, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    IF you getting chickens ONLY for fresh eggs and or to sell eggs ,

#1. BEST to buy them full grown or close to laying .

#2. By the time you feed and water 1 or 2 week old chicks to laying age , look at the expensive .

#3. By the time you have the eggs hatched and raise these baby chicks to laying age , CONSIDER the time and COST .

Trust me and don't get me wrong , I love my chicks , teens and layers . Just some things to consider .

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    You are right but I think most of us here do it for the enjoyment factor.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I, like many people, choose to keep a closed flock. I do not bring in adult birds. There is too much at risk when you don't know the history of the birds in question. I am not willing to risk my entire flock for a couple of point of lay chickens.

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    It's not as fun going with ready to lay, and they're not always available in what breed, mix, or whatever you want... You can get ready to lay from our local hatchery only in white leghorns i believe, well that doesn't help if you really wanted brown eggs, and rhode island reds does it?

I'm going with day olds, because they're cute, and it'll be kind of fun raising them.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree with MP......I don't bring adult birds onto my place. There are several people on here that if they were closer I would consider it. The chicks I hatch are so much calmer and friendly from day one that I can't imagine doing it any other way. Would it be cheaper to buy them as POL pullets?...yes I'm sure it would be, but I'd rather raise them myself.

6. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well , we have raised 30 baby chicks that are NOW 12 - 14 weeks old .

So , I think we got that excitement of watching , learning OUT of our system . LOL ..... NOTICE I SAID " I THINK " LMAO

NOW , getting into what this will end up being , ppl are calling and lining up for fresh large brown eggs and willing to pay the price . LOL

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have raised thousands of baby chicks over the years. It is not out of my system yet. It probably never will be. [​IMG]

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well you know what ? YOU ARE ALL CORRECT .........

You just brought OUT the MOM in me and put everything in proper prospective and reality has set in . I love each and every chick/teen/ hen . They are ALL my babies ........... WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY . thanks

:aww:aww:thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    It is as much tradition as anything that people raise their own. Everyone had them or knew someone down the road who did, so getting stock was not a big deal. It is only since the 1950's that people could get chicken products, dressed and ready to go, with such convenience as we now see. This, too, has grown to be a tradition.

This ease has led to people not knowing about chickens anymore. Thanks to the natural, "organic food" movement, they have started to "re-discover" them, as you have. Meaning, they have to re-invest in them, both time, money and effort. Much has been lost.

Grown chickens weren't always available, as you may now think. When they were, they were costly, for all the reasons you mention. Simply put, you didn't sell a good chicken, you put it to use. People depended on them for their food, for their life.
    When someone DID sell a grown bird, it was most often for two reasons:

1. As known quality breed stock.
    The seller of such birds could make good money for them, among folks intent on flock improvement. Many did just that - reputations were made of such stuff.

{{ This is where the hatching egg market started. Once nationwide rail transport was the norm, the egg business was a natural. It is simpler to transport eggs, as opposed to live birds, and they can be sent farther afield with greater ease.
    Eventually, shipment of live chicks came along. So you see, it is more the norm to raise them from egg or chick. }}

2. For the stewpot.
    People weren't as "sensitive" as they are today. When the hen had played out or was culled for other reasons, it was now a "fowl." Such birds have one last hurrah, as Sunday dinner. There was once a thriving market for these birds and they could be disposed of readily to specialty wholesalers.

I applaud your mathematics. Control of all things with the chicken (indeed, all livestock) is the key to success. This includes knowing your costs and finding ways to work simpler and cheaper. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  10. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We are planning on using our breeds for laying only, but raising chicks has been an awesome learning experience! We homeschool, so this is an awesome biology lesson for the kids. They can see the growth process from chick to adult. Plus, we're bonding with our babies. It's also been a great way to teach kids responsibility. They have to help with feeding, watering, butt checks. Not to mention chicks are a great alternative to television. Our TV is staying off more and we watch "chick TV" for hours on end. I guess I could go the easy route and get adults, but we'd miss all the fun and education of chicks!!!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by