Big egg TINNIEST FIRST EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Aug 1, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Ok I have these two australorps that were wanting in the coop (they were freeranging and didn't want to lay in the boxes outside) so I put them in for a bout 30 min and went back to check on them. They are both 5 months old. One layed the biggest egg of any of my chickens really maybe bigger than I've ever seen. The other laid an egg so small it looks like a quail egg, or the size of one. Here is a pic of the two eggs compared to reg eggs.[​IMG]

The big egg is impressive (the hen collapsed in exhaustion after ward and is in my bathroom recovering) but has anyone ever seen a chicken's first egg so small.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Wow!!!!!!

3. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    We just had one of our first eggs exactly that small......and it did NOT have a yolk in it, only the white.....probably that small little egg is missing its yolk. I cooked it up anyway ! but it was a bit hard to crack open being so small. That is one cute egg.....[​IMG]

4. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Wow, amazing that it happened right about the same time! [​IMG] Also, I think the little egg is called an "egg fart." [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Wow we were wandering what it looked like on the inside if it was a completely miniature egg. I'll let you know when we crack it open. It's so weird that it might even be smaller than a quail egg. I really do hope it has a yolk. The fun I would have frying it.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Cute little "fart egg"
    What to call the big one, "gas-bag egg?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Well I'm really curious what tomm will bring. I don't know if I want bigger eggs or If it'd be cool to have a chicken that lays tiny eggs. I may take a better pics

8. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    ok so I cracked the really tiny egg and it had a yolk. Just a miniature egg We cooked it.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    OMG-That is the cutest fried egg I have ever seen!! Too Funny!!

BTW, some folks call the 'fart egg' a fairy egg!

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by