Big Eggs for young birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BillRei2, Sep 15, 2012.

1. BillRei2

BillRei2 New Egg

Aug 5, 2012
    One of my girls layed the biggest egg I ever saw. They have only been laying for about a month so I didn't expect anything like this. I placed the egg next to my computer mouse to show just how big it was.
    [​IMG]
    Much to my surprise when I went to cook the egg this is what came out of the shell. Good thing I still had the camera near by.
    [​IMG]
    First three yolk egg I ever saw!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

That's a lovely egg! Three yolks are very rare, lucky you!

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    [​IMG] WOW that is awesome! I've got double yokers, but no triples. I wonder what would happen if you tried to hatch a double yoke egg...

4. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Wow! I've never been lucky enough to get a triple, and certainly not from such a young pullet. Thanks for sharing and welcome to BYC!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    One member here managed to hatch a double yolk egg. It was amazing! You can read about it here:

Double Yolk Egg Hatch

6. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Wow..how fun!!

7. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    That's cool! I got 2 double yolkers from my BR that started laying 2 weeks ago, it' a nice surprise. The one she layed yesterday must have given her some trouble because she'd been laying every day by 10 am since her first egg and I was thinking maybe she wanted a day off but I checked the box every couple hours all day and then thiss morning I saw 1 girl with poop, all over her and then another with poop all over her. So, I was thinking how did they both get pooed on? I opened the coop and on the floor was a big double yolker cracked so she must had gone to bed with that big egg blocking her butt and it came out explosively when she was on the roost[​IMG]! LOL poor girls

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by