Big Emergency! Chicks insides coming out?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jetblack2004, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I've got a big emergency with one of my chicks. When it hatched, it hadn't absorbed the yolk fully and it still had it attached. The chick was very quiet; it didn't cheep and didn't open it's eyes at all. The yolk dried up and then came off which was good. The chick was still quiet but had fluffed up and seemed OK enough to move to the brooder with another batch of chicks. Then, an hour later, I go in to find the poor chick with it's eyes still closed and what looks like it's insides coming out. I don't know what to do. It's cheeping a little but seems weak. I think what's coming out is it's little 'boy bits' but I'm not sure. I've never had this happen before and it's an urgent emergency. Is there any hope for the chick or do you think I'll have to bump it off?

Thanks in advance!

-Jet

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably expelling it's intestines, and that is not compatible with life. I would eaither put the chick down now, so that it doesn't suffer, or keep it warm until it is gone. So sorry, but this is something you cannot help.

3. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for replying. That poor little chick..... :(

-Jet

4. Jetblack2004

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    I've just been out and 'dealt' with him. More of the little chick's intestines had come out and although I'm sorry for it, I'm glad it's out of it's misery now.

-Jet

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The lesson I learned from hatching eggs is that we must be strong enough to end the suffering of chicks that may be born with brain damage or birth defects that are not treatable. It is tough putting down such a little bird, but you did a great kindness to end it's suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by