Big Enough for Nights in the 30s?

MinervaELS

Songster
Oct 8, 2017
Hello!

I am more than ready to have these little turds out in the coop where they belong, but tonight is supposed to be 38 and I'm not sure if they are big enough and feathered enough for that yet. I think the bigger ones are around 7 weeks now and the little black ones around 5 weeks.

What do you think? Big enough to handle it, or should I keep them in another night or two until it warms up again? They have been a royal pain to get in and out the last few days but I can suck it up for another few if I have to.

jqdGVmP.jpg

xh2BYUN.jpg

Are you still using a heat lamp? What is your daytime temp? Are they spending the whole day in the coop and run? What time are you taking them outside? How warm is it when you take them out?

No, I only used the heat lamp for a few nights when I first got them before turning it off since they didn't want it. Daytime temperatures in the mid to upper 70s. They've gone out in the mornings when it was between 40 and 45 without huddling.

I think they should be OK. I would stress to make sure they have deep bedding and close them in the coop. No need to have one go out and not see well enough to get back in.

Or you can wait another couple days for warmer nights..... But nights are going to be colder before long anyway.

Seven week olds, absolutely ready. Five week olds the way you’ve raised them, they are ready. I’ve had chicks like that go through nights in the mid-20’s Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. I’d want them in a coop with good breeze protection down low where they will be and good ventilation, preferably up high, just as insurance. But the 7 week olds would probably be OK weatherwise sleeping in the run in those temperatures. But why push it? Besides they will be safer from predators locked in the coop at night.

Back
Top Bottom