Big enough or should I expand?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by benkelly, Aug 3, 2014.

1. benkelly

benkelly Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2014
    I have 5 chickens
    Only one is currently laying at the moment
    I don't know if it's to small for them that's why that haven't started laying I only got them last week so maybe time to settle in? have a look [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I don't think that being overcrowded is the reason your chickens aren't laying, but you may need to expand the size of your coop and run. The recommended minimum is 4 sq. ft. per bird for the coop and 10 sq. ft. per bird for the run (more is better on both), which means with 5 chickens you need a coop with a floor area of at least 20 sq. ft. and a run with a floor area of at least 50 sq. feet (again, more is better). Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your laying again.

3. benkelly

benkelly Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2014
    Well I'm expanding into the shed for their coop and I let them out of the run when I'm home

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X2 on the square footage needed. But it looks like you might be ok on room in the coop. The run seems large enough for 5 birds. Just keep an eye on them and if you need to in the future, you can expand on the coop.

Welcome to our flock!

5. benkelly

benkelly Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2014
    As I said there coop will be the shed eventually when I put a new roof on[​IMG]
    4 of them aren't laying though...

And thank you guys

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! They probably also need time to settle in like you said. Chickens will often stop laying for a while when they have been stressed, like being moved to a new home, they will usually start up again in a few weeks or a month or so. If they are young and hadn't been laying in their old home, pullets of even the same breed from the same place won't all start laying at the same time, they may be weeks or months apart. Here is a nice thread on various reasons hens may not be laying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You should have plenty of area for them then.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Of course you should expand - you need to have room for at least five more birds........[​IMG]

9. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by