Big enough?

cge7

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Southern NJ
I know ill have to add on at some point in the near future but for these 4 is this coop large enough? an EE, 2 Olive eggers (cochin mix and polish mix) and a BO...its 5-1/2'x4' and 4' tall at the peak to ~2' at the low point with 2 nesting boxes and a 36" perch inside.
i have a barred rock and SL wyandotte chick still in the brooder which will be joining this spring also so how much bigger should i go?--without going too big as i am only on about 1/4 acre.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    779.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 10
the attached run is 12'x7-1/2' so 90sq.ft and the coop itself is a bit over 20sq.ft so ill need to add on some for the two in the brooder.
i was thinking another 2.5ft in length to make it a even 8'x4' for 32sq ft for 6 birds that will have open access to the attached run all hours of the day but be closed in at night and hopefully free range the yard at some point.
would that be sufficient space for each inside the coop?

im in southern nj so fairly mild winters temps mostly around 30s and not many big snows. and the run is covered also. i have a corrugated metal roof on it that is pest proof with 1/2" wire but not sealed and i will drill a few 2" circles at the peak for added ventilation.

just wondering if the 6 will be okay in there until i have the time freed up to expand the coop to 8x4..not long term but maybe a few weeks

Having a way to segregate young birds while they get integrated with the current flock is going to be an issue. I'd be looking for a way to give them adjacent quarters for at least a few weeks. You want them to see each other but not touch. You have enough run space to come up with something I bet.

Back
Top Bottom