big enuff for 8 hens and a roo?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bmiss, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    with this many birds, would a chicken pen that is 50' x 50' be sufficient enuff for that many birds?

i plan on letting them out of the chicken coop during the day and letting them free range in this fenced of area.

2. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

A coop that is 50 ft by 50 ft has a square foot space of 2500 sq. ft. At 4 sq. ft. per large bird, you might have trouble finding all nine chickens at one time in such a big area. By my figures you could go as high as 625 with little problems.

If you meant 50 inches by 50 inches or about 17 sq. ft. you would be too crowded with 9 chickens. Even 5 would be pushing the limits unless they stayed out of the coop in a large run most of the time.

Bantams would need less space.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. bmiss

bmiss Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    NE Mississippi
    let me clarify. my coop wont be but a small shed. i have a fenced off area that is 50' x 50' that im gonna let the run and forrage during the day.

4. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    that should be plenty big for 8 hens and a rooster. i wass reading in story's guide and it said you should have a minimum of 100 sq ft per chicken and 50 by 50 2500 sq ft! i think your fine. if anything make it a little smaller so you know where they are. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by