1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big Fat Female Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucklingLovee, Mar 2, 2015.

1. DucklingLovee

DucklingLovee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    So my female Pekin finally just started to lay, she's about a year old. I have a male Runner and he's tried to mate with her a few times but the problem is she's twice the size of him and he's having some trouble lol. I've seen him try to mount her and then he kinda just sits on her back and doesn't seem like he knows what to do. So this might be an idiotic question but, do you guys think I'll have any fertile eggs? I'm a very novice duck mommy and I pretty much have questions about everything, so I'm sorry if I sound stupid lol. I've been incubating a few of them and am going to candle them in a few days, so I'm just curious to see if it's even worth it.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    you could have eggs fertile eggs if they breed in water (like about 4 ft deep) that water the male can position himself better on the female.

3. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    They have a kiddie pool, that's about the only place I've seen him try but it's definitely not four feet deep. I'm going to get a bigger one for them soon so maybe that will help.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with buff goose guy - provide a pool with water, as much as a foot deep will facilitate breeding with ducks. More depth would be required for geese. If he manages to 'connect' even once on land or in the water, that should provide fertility for a minimum of 2 weeks. You can open an egg and check for the bulls eye appearance of a fertile egg. Do an on site search for 'bulls eye fertility' and threads will show indicating the appearance of fertile eggs.

5. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    Okay, thank you guys! What would I do without this site lol.

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Some runners don't like deep water, so be prepared for the plan to fail. :p But I hope it doesn't! Is the runner young? I think it takes a while for them to figure things out. Wobbles is in the throes of his very first mating season and even though I'm his only "mate" so far sometimes he just plain sucks at it. He'll grab and twist, but just sits there and doesn't do anything! Hehe poor guy probably doesn't know what he's supposed to do!

As for fertility, you can check by cracking open one of her eggs. If you see a small white bulls-eye on the yolk, there's your sign!

7. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    I have no idea how old he is, we rescued him when his owners dumped him at a local lake in the middle of our very cold winter. I think he is just inexperienced though, hopefully he'll gt the hang of it! :p

8. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My drake is still figuring things out so it can take a while too. He has it down with his buddy that came with him but it's an epic fail with my other girls.

9. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    Haha awe! Poor boys. It's so difficult. :p I opened one of the eggs and saw a white circle on the yolk, not sure if it was quite the bullseye shape though. I'll just candle the one's she laid first in a few days and see. I've hatched eggs before so at least I know how to do that lol!

10. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    Definitely got a bullseye today! :D woohoo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by