Big fat hen with bare bum.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by princesslayer, May 12, 2010.

1. princesslayer

princesslayer Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    At one point 5 out of our 6 hens seemed to get bare bums all at once. We worked out it was one of them pecking the others bums, and we gave her and one other to my in-laws. Those two are now living in the lap of luxury in acres of space and the bum pecking has stopped.

Now we have just 4 hens and 3 of them have grown their feathers back. The 4th hasn't though and her bum looks a bit pinker than the others did. It's not raw or sore looking, just dark pink.

She is the biggest and stupidest of them and seems also to be moulting at the moment when none of the others are. Her neck feathers are getting thinner and there are feathers in the coop.

Will she grown them back or do we need to take her to a vet?
  2. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    They should be fine. Sometimes the feathers grow back, sometimes they don't. From that I have seen the birds don't really care. I have several old hens who have been walking around for years with big bare bottoms, so unless they start showing other symptoms I don't think it is necessary to go to a vet. You can try putting some neosporin/calendula on her to help it heal, but it is not a major problem (unless you can't handle being mooned by one of your hens daily [​IMG]).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by