Big fatty lump on my chickens leg!? *pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmg003, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mmg003

mmg003 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I noticed a lump on my chicken's upper leg, it looks like a big lump of skin but it squishes in when you touch it, and it looks like its fluid filled or that it's a cyst.. Anyway what is it and can it be treated if anyone knows??[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. freerange4hens

freerange4hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    If she is acting normal, it looks kind of like a fatty tumor. Is it soft and squishy or hard?? Could try to drain it out.

3. mmg003

Jul 23, 2012
    It's squishy in part of it but around the squishy part it's hard.. She has been acting normal and if it's a fatty tumor should I be concerned?

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That's likely a cyst that developed. I'd put a warm compress to it for a couple minutes, lance it with a sterile, sharp blade (rubbing alcohol works). Squeeze the pus out gently, and dab it clean withcotton balls moistened with Betadine. Keep the bird in a clean environment without dirt and dust for a day or two until the wound heals. You could use a light coating of triple antibiotic ointment every so often during the healing process. If the bird starts picking at it, use some Pick-No-More lotion or something similar around the area being picked. They don't like the taste of it.

Some vitamin supplement in the water would be beneficial also. Other than the cyst, does the bird seem healthy?

5. mmg003

Jul 23, 2012
    Other then that she's perfectly normal, she never picks at it or anything I only noticed it when I was holding her and felt it or else I would of probably never have known it was there

6. freerange4hens

freerange4hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    I think she will be perfectly fine., especially if she's normal otherwise. Doesn't look serious. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by