1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

big food little food what to give ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GoldenSparrow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    My mother hen and her chicks, are in with all the other chickens. I put chick feed out for the chicks, but mother hen wants layer feed. If I give her it, the two-day-old babies want it too.
    Should I let them have it? I feel itÂ’s too big for them, and they may choke?,

but momma wants big food. I even put it up high, just for her. But she takes a pieces down and gave it to the chicks.

Thanks all.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If your mama hen just hatched chicks, she is not laying now, correct? In that case, she does not need the layer feed so will be fine eating chick feed. The chicks shouldn't eat the layer feed due to the calcium content in it. I would take out the layer pellets and just provide chick feed for all of them.

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

What she said. The hen won't need layer food until she starts to lay again, after she raises the babies. After sitting on the nest for so long, she can use the extra protein in the chick feed.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    In reality, I just feed them all chick food, then in a few weeks grower. Free choice oyster shells and your calcium concerns are taken care of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by