Big, GIANT, Sad Warning on Raising Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meanmom, Jun 12, 2008.

1. meanmom

meanmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2007
    Hi, I just had to post about a mistake I made yesterday that I am kicking myself about.

We just moved our 6 week old babies from a very crowded closet in our house to the lovely pen in our barn. They are LOVING it! But the weather here in Wisconsin has been so freaky. From 85 and sunny to tornadoes and flooding to dropping to 50 degrees in the PM. Well, it was the last drop in temp that claimed 3 of our babies. The first part of our mistake was not having a heat lamp out there ready to be turned on if the temp dropped. The second was to have their food in a 5 gallon plastic ice cream tub. I came home last night and found a bunch of them all huddled in on top of the food in the bucket keeping each other warm. It dawned on me quite suddenly that they had eaten a lot of their food and that there were an awful lot of them stuffed in that bucket. I quickly shooed them out and sure enough, 3 were on the bottom of the pile, suffocated. I was horrified. I got rid of the bucket right away and put their food in a shallow pan.

I just had to write and make sure I do my part in letting you all know this could happen--hoping no one else will make this stupid, stupid mistake. What a waste.

Take care, Lee
    SE WI

2. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    So sorry that happened...

3. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I have heard about the weather down there this year. Hope you stay safe.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Anyone raising baby chicks, whether hatched or hatchery. should be prepared for loss.
    It's sad but it's reality.

No-one should kick themselves for losing chicks. We all lose chicks. It's the chicks
    that make it that count. :|

5. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I am so sorry for your loss! I too lost a baby to a sudden drop in temperature. I know how you just kick yourself for doing something you know you shouldn't have done. Take it as a learning experience. We all make mistakes, and it was a mistake, it is June for chrisake it shouldn't be so stinkin' cold!
    [​IMG]:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    :aww
    I'm so sorry you had to learn that the hard way... but thank you for sharing so hopefully someone else will learn. Do not beat yourself up over it... it happens. Sometimes it happens whether you do everything "right" or not. Please know that you are not alone, not that that makes you feel any better about your situation, and please focus on the babies that are still with you. I am sorry...

7. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    I agree, I understand being upset after we feel like we could have prevented or at least anticipated something... like I did when our saltwater aquarium was at risk w/ the heat...

but w/chicks and fish and other animals we can strive to do the best we can and learn from our experiences good or bad. This is why forums like this are so helpful since many of us were not brought up with chicks/chickens around...

now focus on those chicks that still need you to help them grow up strong!

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That's the sad part about chickens for pets. We had a friend who wanted to hatch some of our eggs in an incubator for their kid's school project. When the babies hatched, naturally we were all in love with them. They put the babies out in a dog cage in their yard during the day, not knowing that their cat could reach the chicks...well, fortunately, she only got two..but we were heartsick, and so were our friends. They were beautiful babies and it made it worse that we owned the chick's parents and were looking forward to seeing them grow up. You can only do the best you can do, and you learn every time you make a mistake.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Sorry for your chickie loss. I am super in to the heat lamp-even my hens have one until late Spring. Thank you for sharing your story-maybe it will help someone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by