1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big girl Autralorp sits on the floor of the coop does not roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BritBroad, Apr 1, 2017.

1. BritBroad

BritBroad Just Hatched

Jul 16, 2015
    Bossie Boots AKA Bootsie has never sat on the roost she always sleeps on the floor of the coop. She does have very large feet, Im wondering if i rig up a wider roost bar would that do the trick. Everyone else seems perfectly content up there?She is one hefty girl maybe she's too heavy? Anyone else ever have this issue? At the moment i have only four girls, so there is plenty of room up there.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How high is "up there"? It's true larger chickens are hesitant to roost up high, mainly because it hurts their legs and feet to dismount. I have a Brahma and a Cochin that would sleep on the floor if they didn't have a low perch just ten inches high to sleep on.

To be safe, though, you should check the bottoms of her feet and make sure there are no injuries that are preventing her from using the perch.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    How high is the roost off the floor?

Larger girls often don't like to jump up, and more importantly, jump down. If it is above 12 inches, she may be reluctant to add the extra heft.

Some birds simply prefer to be down stairs. It's not a good idea to let them sleep in the nest boxes, if that is what she is trying to do, as it soils them.

Final thought, if she lingers in the nest during the day some too, she may be contemplating going broody. Australorps do brood though not as frequently as other breeds.

LofMc

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What size are your roosts? How far up off the ground are they? Is there a ladder system to get up there? What do you consider plenty of room?

There should always be multiple roosts so bottom birds can roost away from the top birds. Not all hens want to be next to each other.

5. BritBroad

BritBroad Just Hatched

Jul 16, 2015
    Thank you for your advice I will ck her feet. We have two levels, one at about twelve inches other at twenty four. She will jump onto a bale of hay in the run behind the coop. Maybe it's more comfortable.? My one Autralorp jumps up, on my chair or wherever I am. But she is definitely a smaller bird. Thanks again, i'll look into this.

6. BritBroad

BritBroad Just Hatched

Jul 16, 2015
    She sleeps on the floor, I sift any poop up on a daily base, I find eggs occasionally on the floor. Maybe her butts too big to get in the nesting box too.??

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If she sits on a bale of hay maybe leave one in the coop for her. It's possible there's something not right about her legs. As long as she seems comfortable I guess it doesn't hurt anything to sleep on the floor, unless she's getting a poopy butt.

8. BritBroad

BritBroad Just Hatched

Jul 16, 2015
    Unfortunately the coops not big enough. She definitely gets a poopy butt. I sift the poop out daily but she still gets sore. I think now the warmer weather is hear. I will try to see if I can get them to sleep in the large dog run , I have set up in the pen where the girls are (no dogs set up just for the girls with tree branches and bales of straw etc. It can be locked up. The pen and coop are all fenced in with the run.(we have hawks) shame really we have a lot of area for them to free range. I let them out when I mow .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by