Big girls, Little girls

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenjack72, Jun 15, 2017.

1. jenjack72

jenjack72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    So, I have a problem. I have a small coop that Ive used the last couple years to keep my little girls in until the big girls get used to them (it has chicken wire around it to make a little yard for them, and the big girls can see them) this has worked out well on the past. I usually close the little coop off after a week or two and the little girls figure out that they are supposed to go in the big coop with the big girls. Well, my dad got real sick for a few weeks and I was taking care of him a lot. I wasn't able to transition the little girls and now they will not go in the big coop, they stand outside the little coop until I finally just let them in. Any suggestions how to get them to want to go in with the big girls?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Obviously they don't feel comfortable mixing it with the big girls yet. I'm assuming space is adequate in the big coop? Is there any way that you can keep them in a crate within the main coop? If you could do this for a few days then they should begin to consider the main coop as "home". I'd be inclined to wait a while and not force the issue until it's clear that the the younger birds are happy being part of the main flock. You can post your question here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/managing-your-flock.2/ for additional input.

CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! CT has left you some great advice so I will wish you the very best of luck getting everyone integrated together.

Enjoy your time here on BYC an all the chicken chat :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

As long as these new birds are at least 3 months of age, you can mix them in with the others. It may take some time for them to learn that the old little coop is no longer in service. You might physically put them in at night until they get used to using it. Watch carefully that the original flock does not bully the new ones out, which may be happening right now. So supervise things for a while. You might lock out the original flock for a few hours each day and allow the new birds some time to investigate by themselves. And always put out more food and water stations when mixing birds as older birds can starve out the newer little birds completely.

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

twisted-acres-farm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by