1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big Goslings Little Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticalMom, Sep 12, 2010.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I KNOW I insisted I wouldn't EVER brood anymore ducks, but you all knew I was full of it! [​IMG] I'm not getting anymore this year, but my brain is already thinking ahead to the spring....

And of course I have a question...

I'll be getting some Indian Runners and some Toulouse Geese from Metzers. Can I brood them together or will the size difference be too much?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would brood them together.

3. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I had 6 welsh harlequins & 10 runners with a female Toulouse & female African goslings this year. The Toulouse loved the ducklings & would act as a surrogate mother to them, but the African was a little aggressive. I put her in a separate section of the brooder until the ducklings had grown up. By the time they were all 4 weeks old, the ducklings were big enough & now both geese love them.

4. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    Just did the same thing this year. The runners and Toulouse got along just fine. The geese were one week younger than the runners and they grew up just fine together.

5. LittleSquidgenHome

LittleSquidgenHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Michiana
    I brooded Muscovy and Ancona ducklings with my Embden and American Buff gosslings and had no problems. I just had to make sure there was enough room and food for everyone and of course change bedding super often, but I didnt have any bullying or picking. I say go for it.

6. MysticalMom

Jul 1, 2009
    Yay! I'm so glad to know that! Now I REALLY can't wait until spring. I've wanted runners ever since I first saw them and knew I'd get them sooner or later, and these will be my first geese. My only other experience with geese are with the mean ones that used to chase me home from the bus stop when I was a kid. [​IMG]

7. MysticalMom

Jul 1, 2009
    P.S.......and these will be the last ducks/geese I buy..... I swear.. I swear.. I swear! [​IMG]

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:Good luck [​IMG]

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I loved having the Toulouse geese mixed in with the runners. One of them is still with us and he is quite an effective guardian for the little flock. He takes great care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by