Big Government vs. Teenager and his pets.

I personally think it outrageous that a city can zone, and therefore control, property outside its bounds. I doubt that the people residing outside the bounds have any say in electing the city officials who pass those zoning ordinances, therefore they should not be governed by their decisions. It's the whole Boston Tea Party issue--regulation without representation.

Good news that after all the negative publicity, the city backed down BIG time.

Quote:
I dont know if you had a chance to read the comments, but the 'complaining neighbor' posted a comment saying his complaint was against the noise that the THREE roosters made all day...I get that and he has a right to complain about it..

My only BEEF with the dude, is instead of running to city hall, why the heck can't he have a conversation with his neighbors and work it out personally...

I blame the wonders of facelessbook and all the other socalled 'social' networking sites.. I think people are LOSING people skills hiding behind a computer..Maybe its time for a rant somewhere else..

Also agree with the poster above me about the way it read, they have no jurisdiction there inthe first place??

Quote:
I dont know if you had a chance to read the comments, but the 'complaining neighbor' posted a comment saying his complaint was against the noise that the THREE roosters made all day...I get that and he has a right to complain about it..

My only BEEF with the dude, is instead of running to city hall, why the heck can't he have a conversation with his neighbors and work it out personally...

I blame the wonders of facelessbook and all the other socalled 'social' networking sites.. I think people are LOSING people skills hiding behind a computer..Maybe its time for a rant somewhere else..

Also agree with the poster above me about the way it read, they have no jurisdiction there inthe first place??

oh, I didn't but does the complaining neighbor have a dog(s) that bark alot, or someone else in the neighborhood, that is one reason why roosters will crow alot, I personally have 35+ roosters and it is very rare they crow alot, only if someone is bothering them or someones dog is barking.

Quote:

The idiot state gave them jurisdiction; it is legal, it just isn't right. Of course, depending on other state laws and constitution, it might be an issue that could be sued over, then who knows where the legality will end up.

I think the article said that they actually gave away the 3 roosters, anyway, and the only sounds coming out of there are the sounds of the hens.

I agree with Sonoran Silkies, it's outrageous that a city can force their jurisdiction on people who live outside their borders, especially when those people can't have any say about it.

I had one indoor rooster and a lady 2 doors down didn't like him, apparently she go a lawyer and stated in a letter that the rooster crows all day and night, funny as he lived inside.After her bothering us a few times we rehomed him, now she claims she can smell my chickens who live inside, but only if the wind and you stand at the right direction;) such a lier ! I have closer neighbours that have no issues even signed a petition allowing outside chickens, people the same distance as her didn't even know we had a roo/chickens! I feel bad for my roo as he was rehomed to a farm when he was used to constant attention. People need to talk to other people when they are upset about something,people these days are crazy!

It really irratates me how a city can tell someone that doesn't even live inside the city limits tell someone what they can and cannot have. If the area is not inside the city limits then they've no buisness trying to rule outside the limits, I thought that was what city limits meant.
We are sort of faciing the same thing in the area where I live, 2 or 3 cities are trying to gain control of our rural area so that they can collect more government monies for population size. So far they've not successed in their efforts.

Quote:

oh, I didn't but does the complaining neighbor have a dog(s) that bark alot, or someone else in the neighborhood, that is one reason why roosters will crow alot, I personally have 35+ roosters and it is very rare they crow alot, only if someone is bothering them or someones dog is barking.

Ryan also has several other pets -- a dog, a fish, a snake, two cats and four parakeets – but he says none of them compare to his chickens.

Could be the kid's own dog or cats that were setting the roos off... possible.

But I agree the guy could have walked on over and said "Hey could you guys maybe do something about the roosters?" Seeing as how even after the 'threat' had passed the parents still got rid of them... I'm guessing they'd have been open to the idea before the media storm. And a WHOLE lot better for neighbor relations...

Of course, we've also seen plenty of topics about psycho neighbors.... you go knock on their door to talk about their dog, etc that is causing you problems and they go NUTSO... so... yeah... if you don't know your neighbor well, don't feel comfy talking to them then you might feel your safest choice is to use the laws on the books and let the officials handle it instead of trying to handle it yourself.

It just depends SO much on the situation... some need officials... some don't... and you really don't know until after the fact whether you chose the right route or not.

But, one good point about this guy causing this blitz, rather than quietly taken care of it... now EVERYONE in that area knows they can have chickens and there isn't squat that can be done... tee hee.

Back
Top Bottom