Big gray thing killing chicken 1 at a time

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Its Just Us Chickens, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    I don't know what it is getting my chickens, but it's killing them off one at a time. It's not bothering eggs that it could get, it's just killing chickens. 2 birds that it got were in a cage. The cage was not damaged, and the spaces are not far enough apart to get a chicken thru, so we're puzzled as to how it got the first one. The second one, it got it's head out and tore it off. The rest were free range birds it's picked off one at a time.

I was in the yard a little bit ago on the trail going to the woods, and there was movement in the brush next to me. I whistled thinking it might be my dog, but then I caught a glimpse of some large gray animal running into the woods. I have no idea what this thing is, but It's gotten the last of my silkies, my banties, and my RIR's. I'm down to a few mutts.

(Why won't it eat the mutts? It could at least eat the extra roosters I have running around. Did it have to get my last silkie hen?)

2. Its Just Us Chickens

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    Oh, and I wanted to add, we had a flashing red predator light right next to the hens it just killed and it didn't deter them.

3. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    I would guess raccoon. I know they can get a chicken out of s dog kennel by reaching in about a foot to grab what it can reach, and then it will tear the chicken apart to pieces until the bits are small enough to pull through the wire.

I'm so sorry you lost your silkies. I have a bobcat working my property now, and it goes for hens, not roos. It gets them while they free-range.

4. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    Maybe set some traps, or invest in one of those game cameras. Sorry to hear about your losses.

5. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    It could of been a werewolf?
    Just suggestion...

6. Its Just Us Chickens

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:LOL my MIL suggested that too. No telling what's in these woods...

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Maybe a possum....but they usually go for the eggs first!!!

8. Its Just Us Chickens

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:That's one of the things confusing me. I would think a coon or possum would get the eggs. It's had plenty chance to steal eggs, but it's leaving them alone and just killing birds.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:That's one of the things confusing me. I would think a coon or possum would get the eggs. It's had plenty chance to steal eggs, but it's leaving them alone and just killing birds.

Best protein available first.

And if the eggs are 'inside' something he may not want to go -in-

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

A raccoon will pull them through the wire cages.

Daytime attacks by a large grey animal? I'm thinking grey fox, coyote, etc.

You probably have more than one pred. EVERYTHING eats chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by