Big growth on elder chook's wattle - only noticed today when applying VetRx for a cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mirandah11, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Mirandah11

Mirandah11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Somerset, UK
    Dear old Bindy (8+ years old) is rather under the weather and has been for a while, but only sporadically - she has her good days and her bad days - the cooler weather doesn't help. Her comb sometimes goes quite dark purple at the ends, so I assume she has some circulation/heart issues (perhaps), as well as a mild cold. Today, however, when applying some newly acquired VetRx on her for the night, I noticed she has a large growth on one of her wattles. Her wattles and comb were also redder than usual.

[​IMG]

She's been through a bit of a moult, too, although she has had this bare patch up front for a while, and I now wonder if it's because of discomfort caused by the lump.

Any ideas of what it is, and what is best to do?

Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like some sort of tumor. As usual, I would check her for lice and mites, and consider worming her. To keep her ability to fight off diseases as good as possible, put some vitamins and probiotics in her water. Some like to increase the protein in the feed to 20% while molting to help in growing feathers. If she has a respiratory disease, an antibiotic such as tylosin, denagard, oxytetracycline, or erythromycin might help if you can get some from your vet.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Mirandah11

Mirandah11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Somerset, UK
    Hi 'Eggcessive', thank you for your input.

I thought it looked rather like a tumour, too.

She's been recently wormed (finished about 7 weeks ago), has no mites and the few lice I found have been suffocated with oil... will check for more regularly. It had grown even bigger yesterday, and I have been wondering about just chopping it off! (but very reluctant, for obvious reasons). Don't have the budget for a vet, unfortunately, but will do all I can to give her a boost.

Anyone any ideas about removal?

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by