Big Honkin' Homemade Feeder!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wisher1000, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I just have to post a pic of my feeder, I can't help it, I'm so proud!

My husband's deer feeder's motor burned out and the rest went onto the scrap pile. I noticed it there and checked to make sure he didn't have plans to fix it and I went to work.

I used the bracket that the motor attached to and cut a piece of 4" PVC pipe to the length I wanted. I attached it with two pipe clamps from Lowes. Then I used an "S" hook to hang the plastic feeder (I had laying around) so that the pipe went down inside the top of the feeder when the wire handle was hooked to the clamp by the "S" hook. I only used one section of pipe (the original feeder stood on two lenghts of pipe for legs) for each leg.

Voila! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! Now I have a feeder that holds at least 200lbs of layer pellets. I keep it under a lean-to on the back of our shop where DH parks his tractor, so it won't get wet when it rains.

The only potential problem I can see is if I need to take the plastic feeder part off for some reason, there is no valve to shut off the flow of feed. The other issue would be if the birds knocked it off the "S" hook and all the feed dispensed onto the ground. It is surprisingly secure, though, because the weight of the feed keeps it pressed hard against the pipe because the handle is secured off-center.

Neither of these have happened, but I still won't put more than one 50Lb bag (plus what's left from the last bag) in at a time until I am confident that it is reliable. The only problem I have had is once it stopped up and wouldn't feed down the pipe. The chickens ate all the feed out of the base of the feeder and I had to poke a stick in from the top to get it moving. It wasn't hard to do, but it made me more careful to check it dailey. If it happens again, I will take off the hard plastic funnel shaped piece that bolts to the bottom and cut it off some to make the hole bigger. The hole there is only about an inch and a quarter across and can easily be enlarged to two, three or three and a half inches across.

All in all, I love it and wanted to share... what do ya'll think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

That is pretty impressive!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wisher, sounds great, but the pictures won't come up for me. It's on my end I am sure. I have lost most avatars and site pictures today. Second time that it has happened? I'll check in again tomorrow.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes! All pictures and avatars have returned. It's a 'big honkin' feeder' indeed. Great job. [​IMG] I think that partially filling it is a good idea until all kinks are worked out and to assure that the feed does not 'draw' moisture and become moldy.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Question is where I can get the shell of a deer feeder in the city...

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I can't imagine having a need for a feeder this big if you live in the city, but you could try ebay and craigs list.

7. FireTigeris

I want to be able to leave for 1 week w/o making my dad go into the coop - the eggs are available from outside. Bath water is available from outside and drinking water is hard 'wired'.

It only needs to hold 150 # at a time, I'm going to rig it to give dove food to the doves, rabbit food to the rabbits and chicken food to the chickens (allowing for mixing) I've seen the dividers for this made out of foam boards. the feed would go to the three different levels

Or I'd need three of these in the smaller 50# versions which might be easier.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have another feeder that works well that you might want to try. It is a five gallon bucket with a snap on top which I bought at Lowes (but they have them at Walmart cheaper!) I attached an aluminum pan that I bought at TSC. I thought the pan was going to be too deep but it turned out perfect for my large fowl chickens. I used 1/4" bolt and nut, and fender washers to attach the pan to the bottom of the bucket. I cut four holes. opposite each other around the bottom. They are 1" high and 3" wide. It works very well and they waste very little. They don't get much trash in the pan as the sides are about 3 1/2 inches tall and the birds reach down into it to eat. It will hold about 3/5 of a fifty pound bag of layer pellets. I found that you cannot hang it from the factory handle, as it will tear thru the plastic from the weight of the feed but I can put it on bricks to raise it if needed. You could put the different feeds in separate bucket feeders and maybe three each when you leave for a week. If you can find the buckets free, you could build the bases out of scrap plywood and 2x4's. That way, you could build a trough for several buckets and you wouldn't have to bolt them down. When you were not on vacation, the trough (and buckets) could be stored or used for a dust bath or to cover something. Just a thought.....

ETA I will try to post a pic in a day or two.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. FireTigeris

Sounds like a great plan, the rabbits would need it modified but I bet I can off set the bucket so there's more room at the feed site (and only make one hole).

Any ideas how to make a hanging feeder for the doves with enough edge to allow them to perch?

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Okay, off the top of my head.... How about a piece of thick plywood just bigger than the dish (I think the dish would have to be more shallow for the doves but have never had them so what do I know?) with chain attached at the corners to hang it and the feeder. I would put a bolt through plywood base, dish, and bucket for stabilization. You could add perches on the edges of the plywood. How about natural sticks, 1/2 inch diameter, tacked to small wood blocks to raise them a bit? Just brainstorming here........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by