Big Incubator hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theswede, Jun 12, 2009.

1. theswede

theswede Songster

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Hi all,
    I had my first big batch of buff orpingtons today, so far about 90 have hatched okay. Still have about another 20 or so to go.

I have a question if anyone can answer, how can I keep the inner lining of the egg shell from getting hard? I lost about eight of them due to the lining getting hard and suffocating them. I kept the humidity around 67% while they were hatching but that didn't seem to work. Any ideas out there? I'm hoping to get into the business of this little hobby of mine, and it was easy on a small scale (7-10), but it's different when it's a 100 at a time.

2. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

I really can't address the hard membrane except with a guess. That would be to increase the humidity a bit. BUT, I had to come on and welcome another swede!! Jag ar svenska!! So much for my swedish. Welcome and enjoy your time! Vicki

3. theswede

theswede Songster

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Thank you! My family is from the Swedish Mountains, mostly back in time we were considered the Finns in the Mountains.

I was just following the instructions on the bator, but I think I may try that on my next batch.

4. Pine Acres Peeps

Pine Acres Peeps Songster

May 24, 2009
    Citronelle, Alabama
    did you open the incubator 3 days before or during the hatch, that could cause it. [​IMG]

5. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

My great grandparents immigrated here from Sweden. I still claim my heritage and celebrate the holidays with as much lutefisk as I can talk my family in to!! LOL

6. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Spray them with warm water.

7. ridder

ridder In the Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Each time you open the incubator or hatcher spray the eggs with a bottle of warm water ( I fill mine with hot water because when you spray it , it really cools off). We have found that this really increased our hatch. Last hatch was 170 duck eggs and we had 155 hatch, percentage wise this was a very good hatch. I am a little sick of all the duck poop now though. Hope this helps.

8. theswede

theswede Songster

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    did you open the incubator 3 days before or during the hatch, that could cause it.

Yes I did my girls wanted to watch one. They have never seen this before.

Each time you open the incubator or hatcher spray the eggs with a bottle of warm water

Spray them with warm water.

Thanks!! I wondered if that would help or not. Would it help to run up the humidity over 70%?

9. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    Opening the incubator will not cause sticking as long as you spray them.

10. theswede

theswede Songster

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    Quote:Thank you, I'll make sure to have a spray bottle beside my bator for now on!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: