Big Island Hawaii - Planning to raise chickens for both eggs and meat... any tips for a newbie?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KTbeautifulKT, Jan 8, 2013.

1. KTbeautifulKT

KTbeautifulKT New Egg

Jan 8, 2013
    Aloha BackYard Chickeners!
    When I was a young teen, my family used to raise chickens and rabbits when we lived in Oregon. My family now lives in Hawaii and my sister and I are grown and want to return to the roots of our simpler life. Our plan is to buy acreage in Ocean View, on the south end of the Big Island of Hawaii. We'd like to raise chickens for both eggs and meat, and possibly rabbits as well if that is a possibility. We're also planning on planting a large garden and a number of fruit trees. We'd like to supplement our simple life by selling our surplus at the local farmers' market but I'm having difficulty finding out what the regulations are that would govern such a thing. Do you have to have a special inspection or permit to sell eggs at a farmers' market? What about the actual poultry? Can you sell freshly butchered chickens and rabbits or would I need to sell them live and let the purchaser butcher their own?
    The Ocean View Saturday Market is pretty lenient on what can and cannot be sold there, a lot more so than in the more populated areas such as Kailua-Kona,, but I definitely don't want to get in trouble for breaking any regulations. If anyone has experience with selling eggs and poultry or rabbits on the Big Island I'd definitely love to talk to you and learn from your experiences rather than learning the hard way by doing it all wrong the first time.
    Mahalo for any information you can give us. We very much appreciate any input.

Kathrynn

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state gkad yiu joined us!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Aloha, Kathrynn, welcome to BYC. Check wth your local board of health on food control regulations.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined us

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kathrynn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I agree with sourland. You can also probably do it "under the table" as well. Best of luck to you!

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by