1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big loss - crying all day yesterday

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Okie Amazon, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    [​IMG] Well, unfortunately, it was an up and down weekend. Went to Shawnee to babysit my little great niece while my neice and her husband went to the OU game. Enjoyed that a LOT! Then came home to find the devastation. Four of our older pups (8 months) had gotten out of their kennel and got into one of my chicken coops. All four of my "ladies" (older Orp hens) 2 younger Orp pullets just about to start laying, and... [​IMG] [​IMG] my LF Black Cochin rooster, Severus and hen, Ruby. Also they somehow got one of my EE pullets, Hawk. One of my Orp pullets took her last breath in my arms, she was huddled under the back porch stairs trying to get to the house for help. [​IMG] I found Ruby, (most of) Severus and part of ONE of the Orp hens. I spent yesterday cleaning up feathers and bawling my eyes out.

I am so wanting to take an iron mallet to a few skulls right now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    So sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

3. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    So sorry for what you have gone through! [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh boy.....[​IMG]

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I just can't imagine what you are going through.[​IMG]

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh I'm so sorry that must be terrible hang in there! [​IMG]

8. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    It was sure hard going home from work yesterday. Always first thing they would all come running up to me to see if I had treats. I'd say hello and tickle a few heads, then go in to change my clothes. They would all hang around the back porch stairs, knowing I would be back with goodies. Severus was such a sweet roo; he wouldn't take a treat until all his girls had one, then he would come up and get his goody. It's going to be hard to get used to them being gone.

9. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    [​IMG]:[​IMG]:[​IMG]:[​IMG]:[​IMG]:[​IMG]:
    OMG, reading that made me want to cry too. [​IMG]:[​IMG]:[​IMG]:[​IMG]:

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    OMG, I've had chickens come to the house when there's trouble. They're not completed stupid like most people would think, especially the older ones. I can't imagine how it would feel knowing 'Mom' wasn't there to protect them. I have had some losses to mostly my own dogs. Oh boy....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by