big lump between my hen's legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kandie-kiss, Mar 2, 2011.

1. kandie-kiss

kandie-kiss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    I have a hen I think is a white giant. I noticed a couple of days ago that she has a big lump between her legs. She has been walking with one leg raising way up for awhile now. I have never had this happen before with any of my hens and I do not know what to do. I cannot afford to take her to the vet, (especailly since they do not seem to know much about chickens anyway) and she is my daughters favorite chicken. If you can, please help. Thank you.

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Can you post a picture? Is it a lump on her skin? Or is the lump an egg- if it is she could be eggbound.. is she laying?

3. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    Will she allow you to massage it gently to see if it's #1.. soft and squishy, or #2 hard and the shape of an egg?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd check out the threads linked on the FAQ page regarding eggbound chickens, and try a bath and some of the other measures they recommend. I don't know if this is the problem, of course, but it seems worth a try.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by