BIG lump on 8 weeks old chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aub, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    My girls have BIG lumps on their chests. I'm a city girl and have never been around chickens. I don't know if this is normal or not. The girls have been in the coop/ run for a few days since it was so rainy and we couldn't play outside. Today was the first nice day, so they got to run around the yard and eat all kinds of goodies. I was getting them back in the run when I picked up Mrs. Feather-Bottom and noticed the bump on her. I checked Buffy and she has it too. I didn't get to check the 3 others. They are acting fine (other than being wild since it's sunny) and eating and drinking.

Here is a picture of Mrs. Feather-Bottom, my fingers are "around" the lump. Do I need to do anything?

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's the crop, where food goes before it goes further down the line. Normal. If you check first thing in the morning before they eat much, you'll see that it will be deflated.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    they ate good today.

4. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    OH! Well... that's good! So, they're just full. I guess I get that way too sometimes... [​IMG]

5. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    hehe Love it!! I did the same thing! Thought they MUST all have cancer!! ahhhhh my poor babies. Then I learned what a crop is [​IMG] cool things happen when you get chickens!

6. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Do you real chicken people just laugh at us newbies?!

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am another person who first thought one of my chicks had a tumor in her neck. Thank goodness for BYC! I was reassured and told, "They're just piggies. It will go down overnight. If there is still a big lump there in the morning, come on back here and let somebody know - but I bet dollars to doughnuts you won't find the lump in the morning. The food will have passed from the crop."

And that was correct. Normal.

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    we were all newbies at one point. no one here will laugh at you. too much, anyway!

crops do look like tumors when very full and noticed for the first time.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Nope. We remember what it felt like to be panicked about something we didn't understand about our first chickens, too! [​IMG]

There is a first time for EVERYONE.

10. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    I'm tearing up laughing......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by