Big lump on chickens foot! *Pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Nov 26, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Now, I know this chicken has scaly leg mites... but is that lump also from the mites? She is constantly trying to pull it off, but its stuck on there good. I have treated it with vaseline and olive oil... it doesn't seem to want to come off. If this means anything, she is a Barred rock, a rescued hen who's foot got stepped on by a horse a year ago, so now she limps.
    Any ideas on what it is and how to treat it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Poor girl [​IMG] If I were you, I would figure out a way to get it off her without hurting her too much. It's not a broken bone or anything, right? Just a scab? I think if it comes off it would be better, but I'm no expert. She's such a pretty girl too. I have a soft spot for BR girls.

If you can afford it, take her to the vet.

Not sure if wrapping it would help... If you sop it up with Vaseline and wrap it, it might soften and come off easier. [​IMG] Just an idea.

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:No, its not a broken bone, just a sprain I believe. I will try to soften it and pull it off, but she does put up a good fight! Believe me I know. [​IMG]

4. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Anyone else know??? [​IMG]

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Anybody have a idea? I think its causing her alot of pain. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by