Big Mama is in time out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by X2Farm, Aug 19, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    So, while making an extension on the older hens run (not enough wire [​IMG] [​IMG] gotta finish tomorrow) the hens and Roo went into the coop. All I hear is squabbling and shrieks of terror from 3 other hens [​IMG] and I peek in, and Big Mama, the Head Hen In Charge was terrorizing the other girls [​IMG] Well, I needed to blukote the other 2 who had feathers missing, so I snatched her out, and now she sits in the living room, in a brooder bin, alone, in a time out.

Will this take her down on the pecking order some? How long should I keep her seperated to help knock her down a few rungs? [​IMG]

The other 4 hens are pretty mild mannered, and the only one I've ever seen cause a ruckus was Big Mama.. now, she got the time out [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have 5 chickens who were pecking at all the other hens I have(got 19 total) and we separated them for about 3 weeks and then put them back...there better some but do still on occasion peck the others. I noticed it helps if they have something to keep them busy.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I hope your solution helps. I had two BR hens (Pauline and Dorothy) who were the "head honchos" of my coop. They kept EVERYONE on the run...even went after our rooster as a tag-team attack on occasion. I tried separating them but after a month nothing worked. I would re-introduce one or both and they would gang up on everyone again when both were together. Finally had to sell Dorothy. She wasn't a consistent layer and seemed to be the most aggressive although she was submissive to Pauline. Since the removal of her buddy (hate that but I had no choice) Pauline is much more subdued. Still the top hen but much more accepting. She is on an egg strike now however. Day 6 without an egg. She is fighting this battle with her mind now.

4. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    I really hope it helps. She's a good layer, and is very healthy and a sweetie once she's caught. She just likes to peck and rip feathers outta the others, and mount them... Maybe she's not laying, or has a failed ovary and has testosterone overload [​IMG] I dunno. I'm gonna keep her out for a couple days, and see about putting her back on Sunday or so. Hopefully it helps some... if not, well, hopefully some free range time for them all will help [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    snowhunter, maybe Big Mama wll decide she likes to be in the living room with the humans, and not want to go back to the coop.

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, then she will be the queen of your roost! HA

7. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    [​IMG] that wouldn't suprise me [​IMG]

She went back out... I guess I grabbed the wrong hen [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I felt like an idiot!! LOL! So, out Big Mama went, and in came the other terrorizer... and all is well again [​IMG]:weee The girls are outside free ranging with Big Daddy (The Roo) and Grumpus Butt is in here in a brooder, and NOT happy about it [​IMG] Now we'll see how things go [​IMG] If the 3 girls don't grow saddle feathers back soon, I'll hafta get some covers for em, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by